With direction from the Quality Manager, the Quality Engineer is responsible for planning and directing activities related to the application and maintenance of quality assurance standards for company products. Plans and organizes activities for establishing an effective quality management system, while working in close coordination with all departments.
- Determines quality improvement parameters by identifying statistical methods relevant to manufacturing processes
- Establishes statistical confidence by identifying sample size and acceptable error; determining levels of confidence
- Establishes statistical reliability by using mean time before failure, reliability modeling, and reliability demonstration tests
- Develops experiments by applying full and fractional factorial techniques
- Develops sampling plans (as required) by applying attribute, variable, and sequential sampling methods.
- Maintains statistical process controls by applying demerit/unit, zone charting, x2 charts for distributions and individual-medial/range for multi-stream processes
- Analyzes data by completing hypothesis, normal distribution, and process capability analysis tests
- Prepares reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data; making recommendations
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies; maintaining American Society of Quality certified quality engineer (CQE) qualification
- Lead projects (as required) in concert with Quality/Business Objectives
- Initiates and reviews standards and methods for inspection, testing and evaluation
- Reviews quality assurance instructions, assembly specifications, and production schedules to determine method of conducting inspections and tests and sequence of operations
- Lead the department in continuous improvement initiatives, such as 5S with safety, Practical Problem Solving (PPS) and lean manufacturing
- Contains nonconforming materials, parts, or products as necessary and drives corrective/preventive actions as necessary
- Plan, conduct, and report on Quality System audits and corrective actions at supplier’s facilities and Internal facility
- Reviews reports and confers with quality assurance, production, management, and engineering personnel to solve work-related problems
- Data analysis and reporting for intercompany product nonconformance’s.
- This position can be expected to engage in travel – domestic and foreign – 5-15% of the time over the long term and up to 50% of the time short term
Skills & Abilities:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Experience: One to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Computer Skills: Ability to read data from automated test equipment. Ability to access and print necessary documents. Ability to use Microsoft-Office (i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.).
- Certificates & Licenses: Certified as a Quality Engineer by ASQ or Six Sigma Black Belt preferred